Sunday, September 23, 2012

Finally a Post: Together we go...

Beautiful sunset  I captured on my run one evening (Searcy, AR)
Howdy!

It has been so long since my last post! Too long! There's so much to update about, I don't even know where to begin. I guess I'll start from where I left off on my last post. Several weeks ago, a group of us girls decided to begin our weekend by going out to eat to Chili's and going rock climbing downtown. It was the perfect study break and it was neat discovering the rock climbing center! I can't wait to go back! :)


Rock climbing at the Zion Climbing Center in downtown Searcy, AR
So much fun! Love these girls!



Well school has definitely been picking up speed. We've had 5 tests so far. We started out having a test every other Friday to having THREE tests in one week! Needless to say, we've been studying like CRAZY! But it has been so much fun at the same time! :) In a way it feels like I have been here longer than only 6 weeks, since we have been learning so much so quickly. We got our white coats a few weeks ago and we got to wear them to visit the sweet residents at the Harding Place Retirement Center. We had a great time talking with the residents and we got to practice taking a medical history. Here's some pics of my first time wearing my white coat and our wonderful class outside Harding Place.

Harding University Physician Assistant Class of 2014 :)


We have been learning new clinical skills every week. We've already learned how to give all 3 types of injections, venipuncture (blood draws), and IVs. Next week we're learning EKGs! The fun part about clinical skills is that we get to practice on each other! How neat is it that we trust each other enough to poke each other with needles!? haha. I've had an amazing partner through these experiences and I'm thankful for her patience, especially last week when I had to poke her 3 times to start and IV... sorry Rachel! We also got to give the Pharmacy students their TB skin tests. That was neat because it was pretty much set up like a clinic. We were each assigned a specific shift in an examination room and patients were sent back to us one at a time to get their TB test.
Learning Venipuncture (drawing blood)
Learning injections!

Last weekend was one of my favorites because I got to fly home for my brother's wedding. I was SO excited to get on that plane headed to TEXAS! :) My dad greeted me at the airport and we went out to dinner and picked up my bridesmaids dress. Then I went home to see the rest of my family and later went out to a Texas country concert with some friends. I was super glad to see my best friend again! I missed you Gabs! ;)
Gaby & I at Josh Abbott concert in Helotes, TX :)
The next day I had a special breakfast with dear friend of mine at our favorite coffee shop in town! It was a lovely morning, surprisingly beautiful weather! The rest of the wedding day was full of more fun and family time! I loved getting to see my aunts, uncles, grandparents, niece, nephew, cousins, family friends... everyone! It did my heart good to see so many people that mean so much to me and as well to see my brother and his beautiful bride so happy! :) I remember the day Gloria and I met in the hallway of the "J building" in high school. I had seen her around Stephen a lot lately, and being a nosy and protective younger sister, I walked up to Gloria and bluntly asked her if she was my brother's new girlfriend. Haha She came over later that night and met our family, and nearly 7 years later... they're married!!! She's been like a sis to be since I was 16 and now it's finally official! Yay!!! Congrats Steve and Gloria! :)  


With my brother & new sis, Gloria Bump! :)


This past week was... NUTS. I flew back into Little Rock Sunday afternoon (Did I mention I forgot my purse at my house and my mom had to rush it to the airport!? & that it was pouring rain!? Big OOPS! Thanks Mom for saving me!!) After I got off the plane, I had to drive an hour back to Searcy in a storm, unpack, and before I knew it I was back to study, study, studying! We had 3 tests last week: physical diagnosis, anatomy & physiology, and pharmacology. Wednesday we stayed at school almost until 5:30 trying to learn IVs, and Thursday we visited the White County hospital after our test. We got to visit patients and practice our communication and history taking skills. I felt like I learned so much just in our brief visit and enjoyed talking with my patient, but also left a bit heavyhearted. Thursday I had a group of girls over to study the night before our crazy day of tests. We were so glad to get those over with! We made it! ;)

Obviously, there have definitely been some trying times already, even though we're only 6 weeks into school. But I'm truly blown away how amazing it has been at the same time. I love what I'm learning and I love who I'm leaning it with. It is truly a growing experience, and I couldn't imagine going through this journey without my incredible classmates. We really have been walking through this season together and helping each other along the way... not only academically, but also spiritually. I am beyond blessed to have such great fellowship here. We share Bible verses, devotionals, and always join together in prayer before our tests. It may not sound like a big deal, but to me, it's a very big deal. Especially this last week when for the first time since I've been here I really began to struggle to keep my head above the water (We heard that expression during orientation week and I now know what that means!).

I felt like it was impossible to learn all that I needed to learn in such little time before our tests. I discovered that many others felt the same way as I did, and it was comforting to know we were all in it together. We studied as hard as we could, often together, and prayed, prayed, prayed! I would open emails from classmates full of encouragement, helpful study materials, and several Bible verses. Even though it was a really tough week, God never quit pouring out His love among us. He was present through every moment of it, and for that I am SO thankful! We really can't do anything without Him. He is our Provider. It is surely a beautiful season :) We're learning a ton of neat things together while growing in the Lord together... learning to trust Him more and how to let go of fear. This next week will be another full week of 3 more tests... but I know He will get us through it like this past one! :)

 “Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest...." (Matthew 11:28).

That is one of my favorite verses. As I desperately searched through my Bible earlier this past week, He lead me back to this verse and reminded me of exactly what I needed to hear. No matter what you're going through, bring those worries to the Lord. He will give you peace and carry you through it. He really is the only Way :)

Well, that's about it for now! By the way, it is now officially FALL! It is already feeling like it up here with this cool weather :) I absolutely love it! I have a pumpkin spice candle burning right now which makes it even better!

Happy first day of Fall and blessings to all! ;)

-Lauren


Can't forget about my darling Angel.... :)


She propped herself up like that so she could watch me study  :)

Playing & staying busy with her new toys!







1 comment: