Sunday, August 19, 2012

Blessed to be on this Journey...



This past week was seriously incredible! I don't even know where to begin! Monday was such an exciting day, yet also a HUGE eye-opener. Our jaws dropped as we were all told how intense the program is going to be. Three-fourths of medical school in half the time is going to call for some serious time management skills! After that reality check, we spent a lot of time discussing time management, learning/study strategies, and stress management. Wednesday was all about 'Loving Medicine.' We did a "ropes course" with our class, faculty, and staff where we did different activities/challenges that allowed us to get to know each other better and work as a team. It was a total blast! But I'm sure that will be the one and only time we could wear workout clothes to class! :) Thursday we did BLS (Basic Life Support) training and we all got our certification for Healthcare Providers. CPR is quite a workout, especially when doing it almost all day! My thumbs were sore the next day from infant CPR... haha. Friday we had professional and senior student panels where we got to ask questions and hear invaluable advice for surviving the program and becoming health care providers. Lastly, we ended the amazing week with a devotional.

It's so hard to believe that we have all known each other for only a little over a week now... I already feel like we're family :) It is so neat that we all come from so many diffferent backgrounds from all over the country and yet we happen to mesh so well and make an awesome team. I think that is one of the most important things I've gained out of this week, among many others. Our classmates are not at all our competitors; they are our study partners, encouragers, support system, and family members. After getting to know them over the past several days, it's quite comforting to know that we are all in this together. It is quite likely going to be the most challenging 28 months of our lives in this program, but we are beyond blessed to have each other.

Blessed is the theme for this post, if you haven't already noticed. It's just that I have realized more and more each day how very blessed I am to be here. Every experience I have had here has been confirmation that I am exactly where God wants me to be. I couldn't imagine a more wonderful PA program that is not only based on practicing patient-centered medicine, but Christ-centered medicine. The faculty and staff are so supportive, encouraging, and compassionate. It is an incredible feeling to know that we have such amazing teachers and mentors that genuinely care about us, and pray for us. I have stopped to think to myself several times this past week, "How did I get here!?" It's completely the Lord's doing. I'm so thankful...

Color-coded my weekly schedules :)

Well orientation week was clearly a blast... but come tomorrow we will be in full study mode as we officially start the didactic year. It is so exciting, yet I know it's going to be so challenging... and I have no idea what that is going to feel like... haha. I'm bracing myself. But I'm so glad that the faculty reminded me that as we begin this journey, I'm going to have to fight to keep my eyes focused on the Lord. He is the reason I'm here, and it's by His strength, love, grace, and guidance that I will get through these next 28 months.

"Be mindful of the purpose you have embraced, and set always before you the vision of the crucified" -Thomas à Kempis
Back to pre-reading for tomorrow and finishing laundry! I'm not sure if I'll find the time to post after this next week, but I shall try! :)

PS. I miss San Antonio's Mexican food.... and Julio's. But... I do not miss the triple digit temps! We've been in the 60s in the mornings and 80s for the highs! Be jealous ;)


WAIT! Can't forget about Angel... Here's an idea of what she's been up to this week :)


Yep, she's in the bathtub.
Always on my papers
She has claimed the ottoman. I have to fight her for it.



1 comment:

  1. Tithon gold dominoes | Stainless Steel Dominus
    Tithon, the newest and best of Tithon, features a unique structure. microtouch titanium trim as seen on tv Tithon is the first metal dominoes titanium price to be titanium trim hair cutter reviews released in the world. It is oakley titanium sunglasses an alloy in  Rating: 4.5 · ‎10 votes · ‎$32.50 · ‎In stock titanium oxide

    ReplyDelete